The T.M. Durr Memorial Scholarship Fund was created in honor of the late Pastor Thomas M. Durr. Pastor Durr possessed an unspeakable capacity of knowledge, both secular and spiritual. He was inspired by the Holy Spirit to move his family from Louisiana to Los Angeles, California in 1959. His love for all mankind was demonstrated, where he walked and talked to people in the comunity about the same Jehovah-Jireh, Abram talked about nearly 5,000 years ago. Pastor Durr shepherded St. Mark Missionary Baptist Church from 1962 to 1980.
In 1981, the late Cinda Kiel who shared the same desire for the Gospel and love for the youth of St. Mark Missionary Baptist Church founded the T.M. Durr Memorial Scholarship Fund, a not for profit auxiliary of St. Mark Missionary Baptist Church under the leadership of Pastor Lovely Haynes. A committee was established and contributions from the St. Mark Missionary Baptist Church members gave way to the first T.M. Durr Memorial Scholarship and Annual Day in 1985.
Through the years, the Scholarship has been awarded to qualifying Christian youth upon graduation from high school with a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or above to further their education in institutions of higher learning. To further perpetuate the T.M. Durr Memorial Scholarship Fund, an Assistance Fund was established for undergraduate college students who maintained a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 and demonstrated a need for financial assistance.
Scholarship recipients have journeyed to colleges across the United States and have graduated with degrees in their fields of study. Some have returned to St. Mark Missionary Baptist Church to give back with their time, talent and generosity. To God be the glory!
To perpetuate the late Pastor Thomas M. Durr's desire to educate the youth of St. Mark Missionary Baptist Church both spiritually and intellectually through faith, generosity, time, talent and energy in the Christian Field. Scholarships are awarded based on academic achievements and service in the church and community.
We seek to encourage St. Mark Missionary Baptist Church youth to pursue a college education which will empower them to take their place in the 21st century. To provide scholarships to high school graduates and financial assistance to undergraduate college students within the church who qualify in accordance with the T.M. Durr Memorial Scholarship and Assistance Fund criteria.
Qualifications for the T.M. Durr Memorial Scholarship
- Applicant must be a current high school graduate.
- Final Grade Point Average of 3.0 and above.
- Active member of St. Mark Missionary Baptist Church for a minimum of one (1) year.
- Active in Saint Mark Missionary Baptist Church and community affairs.
- Good capabilities, moral and health practices.
- Planning to enroll in an accredited public, religious, or trade school of higher learning.
- Applicant must write an essay not to exceed 200 WORDS ON: "WHY I WANT TO FURTHER MY EDUCATION" OR "WHY I FEEL A COLLEGE EDUCATION IS NECESSARY."
- Provide three recommendations: One from youth's minister, one from high school, and one from community in which youth resides.
- Applicant must provide a copy of the high school transcript and a copy of final semester grade report.
- Applicant must provide a Senior Class cap and gown photo.
- APPLICATION MUST BE RECEIVED OR POSTMARKED NO LATER THAN SUNDAY, JUNE 30, 2019 - 12:00 A.M. MIDNIGHT
Qualifications for the T.M. Durr Memorial Assistance Fund
- The applicant must be an active member of the St. Mark Missionary Baptist Church for one year.
- Applicant must complete and sign the Assistance Fund Application.
- Applicant must present proof of student status enrolled at an institution of higher learning along with the previous semester/quarter grade report.
- Applicant must maintain a minimum 2.0 cumulative grade point average to apply for the Assistance Fund.
- Applicant may apply for the Assistance Fund on an as need basis, not to exceed $250.00 per school year.
If you have any questions, please contact Loretha Battle, Director by email at: email@example.com